Manu Backpackers 3D/2N
The program is developed to enjoy an adventure in the Peruvian Amazon, across different ecological zones from the Andes to the lowlands in the Cultural Zone of the Manu National Park. The itinerary begins with service from Cusco from an accredited local public transportation company that will drive through Paucartambo Andean village and on to Salvacion where our base of operation is located and works a Rescue Center of Parrots, Parrakeets & Macaws. Exploration begins with hike and canoe ride to Machuwasi, a beautiful wildlife refuge lagoon home to many species of flora and fauna, and across the Madre de Dios River to “Otorongo Blanco” campsite in the jungle. The route is also recommended for birdwatchers, photographers, young and adult people with diverse fitness and abilities, botanists, and people willing to hike, camp and contribute to this important eco-tourism project over this wonderful Jungle.
Parrots & Macaws Rescue Center – Otorongo Blanco – Salvacion Campsite
Our work for several years is rescue several species of Parrots, Macaws and parrakeets, many of them are already reintroduced free in wild, others still in process ususally fly free around the campsite. Near is also posible to hike around the Machuwasi Oxbow Lake.
- Permanent campsite located in salvación Village - Manu - Madre de dios
- Wonderful overview over the Salvacion River
- the tents are located over a Wood platform provided with roof
- Regular size matresses, shits and pillows
- Shared Restrooms and showers
- Dining room and kitchen
- Private stairs to the Salvacion river
- Filtered wáter with carbone to drink
- Hot beverages at dispossal whole day long
- Small fresh pool
Otorongo Blanco Jungle Campsite
Located on a side of the impresive Madre de dios river, we protect 24 hectares of secundary and pristine primary amazon on the Cultural Zone of the Manu National Park, the offers the visitors a lot of chances to spot wildlife between they account monkeys, Cats, Opposums, Ant eaters, Tapir and many others. Also a big quantity of colorful birds, butterflies, insects, anphipians and reptiles.
- Permanent campsite located in the Cultural zone of the Manu
- National Park
- Wonderful overview over the Madre de Dios river
- The tents are located over a Wood platform provided with roof
- Thick matresses, shits and pillows
- Shared Restrooms and showers
- Dining room and kitchen
Cusco – Salvacion Parrots & Macaws Rescue Center (Time by bus: 8 hours)
The journey to Salvación begins at 11:00 am in Cusco (3300 meters above sea level) with service from licensed local public transportation company and drive crossing the Andes and cloud forest to Salvación (500 meters). Along the way, there will be a short stop in Paucartambo village for lunch, and 1 hour later will arrive to Acjanaco pass located at 3,500 meters and is the entrance to Manu National Park. From this point of the journey, all the remaining way will be descending to the Amazon Basin, arriving by night to the Village of Salvación, where our base of operation is located and your guide and team will be waiting for you for dinner.
This night we hike the trails around the Machuwasi wildlife refuge lake, as well as canoe ride on the lake where many birds, insects, frogs, spiders, caiman, capybaras (world largest rodent), and other animals live in and around lake. Overnight at our tented platform provided with tents, mosquito nets, mattress, showers and toilettes.
Salvacion Parrots & Macaws Rescue Center – Otorongo Blanco Campsite
This morning before breakfast will hike again around the Machuwasi oxbow lake, this time trying to spot some diurnal animals, with the help of a balsa wood we enter into the lake and walk around the trail system, this lake is habitat of many species of birds such as oropendulas, caciques, cardinals, tanagers and the hoatzin (Opistocomus hoatzin) considered by scientists a ring of connections on the evolution from reptiles to birds.
We return for breakfast to the campsite, here we also work reintroducing to the wild several species of Parrots, Macaws & Parrakeets, you will have the chance to enjoy around several of this colorful birds, some of our achievements is to have even some back with a wild couple to nest here! After breakfast we walk currying our backpack (what not need you can leave it in Salvacion) in direction the Alto Madre de Dios river, where we board a boat to cross to the other side of the river, in approximately 20 minutes of navigation we will arrive at our private reserve of 24 hectares. Our first activity is set the tent and take accommodation.
This afternoon we will prepare us to explore deeper on the forest, we will have hikes inside of the interesting trail system of the campsite, going up to the hills to enjoy a spectacular overview of the Alto Madre de Dios River and the surrounding forest. The idea is to learn as much as possible and enjoy your time in the jungle observing as much as wildlife as possible. Around the campsite live families of 11 different species of monkeys and many others mammals. Also uncountable insect species, amphibians and others, depending on the luck is what you will see. For those willing to have an intensive hike we will do a 5 hour hike into the forest, starting at 500 meters where is the campsite located, arriving up to 940 meters, for those not willing that long hike you can enjoy the nearest trail system. Night with fire at the campsite.
Otorongo Blanco Campsite – Cusco (8 hours by bus approximately)
Today after breakfast we organize our luggage to go back, first by boat, later walking one hour to Salvacion town, lunch at Salvacion campsite. Minivan departs around midday to Cusco, the journey takes around 8 hours. Arriving to Cusco around 8:00 pm.
End of our services
The package includes:
- Bus tickets Cusco - Manu - Cusco
- Camping equipment, tents, mattresses, sheets and pillows
- Specialized guide bilingual Spanish and English (German and Italian as previously required.)
- Three meals a day, vegetarian or vegan option
- Filtered water
- First Aid
- Entrance fee to all the places to visit.
- List of most common animals and plants
- Rubber boots (not available extra large or extra wide size)
- First day breakfast and lunch, last day dinner
- Travel Insurance
- Transfers in Cusco
- Soft drink, Beverages and alcoholic drinks
- Tips (optional)
What we suggest to bring?
- A backpack medium light with most of our belongings. Another small backpack to carry with us at all times
- Sleeping bag (You could use one of ours paying US$ 5 due to laundry)
- A coat for the cold, rain poncho, shorts and shirts, cotton pants and long sleeved shirts
- Bath towels
- Hiking shoes and sandals to enter the water
- Personal hygiene items, sunscreen, hat and glasses
- Insect repellent
- Plastic bags to protect our clothes inside of the backpack
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Camera with extra batteries
- A container to carry water.
- Extra Money to buy crafts shopping, drinks and tips (Optional)
- Local buses may change the departure time
- Your security is important for us, for this reason, this program could be change if the road or river conditions do not allow us to follow the initial itinerary
Tour: Manu Backpackers | Duration: 3 days / 2 nights
*The manu National Park is not an area of Malaria or Yellow fever, vaccinatios are not mandatory for visitors